This moist, delightful, blueberry banana bread has a sweet crumbly streusel topping is the perfect quick and easy dessert when you have extra bananas to use up.
At some point there are always bananas in my house. I am a self admitted banana fanatic. I think Curious George may be the only one who loves bananas more than I.
I put them in everything – on my cereal, in my smoothies, on my toast with some peanut butter (Mmmmm). I must admit (I feel like I’m going to make a lot of confessions on this blog) that at times I have been known to let a banana or two spoil. It is so sad to throw away a ripe, mushy banana so…I bake.
Today I decided to make some blueberry banana bread. I wanted to kick things up a notch so tossed in some blueberries and topped it off with a nice streusel topping to give it more texture and crunch.
This banana bread had my whole house smelling like a gourmet bakery. I just wanted to bottle up that scent and spray it all over myself errry day.
I promise – this blueberry banana bread will NOT disappoint!
P.S If you’re looking to round out your meal planning and need some tips to make things easier, check this out!
Blueberry Banana Bread
- 2-3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups gluten free or all purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
For Streusel topping
- 1 tablespoon gluten free or all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl add mashed bananas, sugar, salt and egg. Stir well to combine. Drizzle in melted coconut oil, stirring constantly. Add the cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Mix together the baking soda and water and then add to the other ingredients. Stir well.
- Add the flour to the mixing bowl and stir until JUST moistened (over mixing will create a dense bread). Gently fold in the blueberries and stir JUST to combine.
- Pour the batter into greased loaf pan.
For Streusel Topping
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and oatmeal.
- Add melted coconut oil and stir well. Gently drop the topping all over the batter in the loaf pan.
- Place the bread into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.