The year 2010. The event? My friend Casey’s birthday party. The place? Joey Don Mills Grill and Lounge.
This was the first time my taste buds feasted on their mouth watering chicken lettuce wraps. The conversation was buzzing around me, presents were being unwrapped and all I could think about was how damn good these lettuce wraps were. Sorry Casey….
I loved how the bread was excluded from this culinary masterpiece and was surprised at how satiated I felt by just eating some ground chicken in some lettuce.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps were something that I always vowed to make but never got around to. I guess it was because I felt that there was no way that Joey’s version could ever be topped…until now….
The visit to my local farmers market last weekend provided the vision and canvas for the lettuce wraps I made a couple of days ago. As far as Boston lettuce goes, this one was a stunner, so deserved some special treatment. Then, the light went off. Those damn chicken lettuce wraps I promised myself so many moons and meals ago that I would make.
I’m always a fan of anything that can be whipped up in one pot or pan…
Since the Game of Thrones finale was on this past Sunday I needed my meal to be quick and worthy of the showdown between the 7 Kingdoms and that dragon! Whoa – didn’t see that coming….
I digress…where was I? Oh yes the wraps…
There are so many bright spots of this recipe least of not which is that this is a great low carb option. Especially important given all the dresses we need to squeeze into for weddings, bikinis for days lounging by the pool etc. but this recipe should help ya 😉
I had this on the table in 20 minutes in more than in enough time to take in the jaw dropping Game of Thrones finale!
An easy to make meal with complex flavour!
If you make this meal, snap a pic and hashtag it #trudyestone on Twitter or Instagram! I’d love to see how it turned out!
Low Carb Better Than Take Out Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic about 2 cloves, I used the bottled one to save time
- 1 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha you can use less if you don’t like it spicy
- 1 can 8 ounces whole water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste ( I recommend ¼ teaspoon each)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add in ground chicken and cook, breaking into small pieces, until browned, about 5 minutes. If you have excess moisture or fat feel free to drain a bit.
- Add in onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce and Sriracha. Stir until all of the chicken is thoroughly coated. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes or until chicken is cooked and onions have become translucent.
- Stir in water chestnuts and green onions until tender, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in red chilli flakes.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl. Spoon the chicken mixture into the lettuce leaves. Enjoy!