It’s no secret that there is an obesity epidemic in America.
There are hundreds if not thousands of books and programs that tell us how to lose weight yet we continue to gain even more weight.
Americans spend about $50 billion dollars per year on weight loss products, yet an estimated 70% of American adults are overweight or obese, a number by the way that we’re also seeing climb in children.
Most of us struggle with weight loss because of our mental chatter. Your thoughts drive your emotions and your emotions drive your behaviours. Your mind dictates your eating choices and your urge to overeat especially when you’re not hungry. It’s what makes you turn 4 weeks of dedicated dieting into all out binge on a lonely Saturday night.
That’s right – most people have developed a mindset that sabotages their weight loss efforts.
The average person has 60,000 thoughts a day and each thought influences the chemical messengers in your brain and how your body functions.
80% of those thoughts are negative thoughts because unfortunately our brains are hardwired to think more negative thoughts than positive ones. That’s why it’s time to change your talk track!
So in this very FIRST episode of the Mind Your Body Show you’ll learn how your negative self talk is making it even harder for you to lose weight.
Here’s a sneak peak of what’s in this episode:
- [02:24] When you attack yourself with negative self-talk, it puts your body in a stress response which increases your cortisol and leads to weight gain. You have the power to heal your relationship with food so that you can help yourself to lose weight.
- [03:20] On this show you’ll learn how to get your mind right so your body will follow, how to live a healthy lifestyle.
- [03:51] What do you believe about yourself and your ability to lose weight? We all have beliefs about ourselves whether we know it or not. We are making choices every day based on those beliefs. During this show, I want to help you get to the core of your beliefs to get lasting weight loss because until you do, you won’t get the weight loss you’re longing for.
- [04:30] “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” A belief is a thought you judge to be true. Beliefs are the mental architecture of how you move through the world.
- [05:10] 3 main ways your beliefs propel you forward or hold you back: 1) your beliefs dictate your behaviour and your behaviour dictates your health. 2) your beliefs affect the chemicals in your brain and how your body functions. 3) Your beliefs are changeable. You have the power to change them.
- [08:24] You have the power to control your thoughts. Positive and hopeful beliefs are healing. Negative and illness-focused beliefs trigger your brain to its fight and flight stress response which dumps cortisol into your bloodstream and causes a cascade of events that make your body more predisposed to illness and weight gain. You have the power to think yourself thin.
- [09:31] What you believe is nothing more than an agreement that you’ve made with yourself about your reality. So to change it, all you have to do is change that agreement.
- [10:27] On the Mind Your Body Show, the strategies I’ll be sharing with you are mostly based on the principles of cognitive therapy, the most effective form of therapy in the world. It is based on the concept that the way people think affects how they feel and do.
- [12:37] I share this with you in the hopes that it will give you the motivation to overcome whatever obstacles are coming in our way to releasing the weight and using the power of your mind to create the body you’ve always wanted.
This episode is brought to you by ‘The What’s Your Diet Personality Quiz’.
Do you wish you could uncover the sabotaging patterns that are preventing you from reaching and maintaining your desired weight?
Click here to take my free quiz to discover your diet personality so that you can pinpoint habit-forming strategies that will help you to achieve lasting weight loss. You can take the quiz right here.
Rate, Review, & Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
“I love the Mind Your Body Show!’’ <– If you thought this to yourself while listening, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people — just like you — to get their mind right so that their body can follow!
Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Each week I’ll pull a ‘review of the week’ so you may have a chance to get a shout out!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the podcast so that you don’t miss out! Subscribe now!
Links mentioned in this episode: