If only I could lose 20lbs I’d feel more confident. Does that sound familiar?
In this episode of the Mind Your Body Show we’ll talk about what to do if not being able to lose weight is filling you with hopelessness, and despair.
Disclaimer: I am not a psychologist or psychotherapist so if you’re having thoughts about self harm I can’t stress how important it is to seek help from a trained and qualified therapist.
Losing weight is hard enough when you’re happy, but it’s even harder when you’re feeling depressed.
Rates of depression are higher in the obese and overweight than in people of normal weight, and while the numbers don’t track each other precisely, the incidence of both obesity and depression is increasing in the U.S.
Women, in particular, are more likely to be both overweight and depressed, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And an underlying mood disorder may be responsible for 1 in 4 cases of obesity, some research suggests.
Now there is one important thing that you need to understand and that’s that there is no division between what you think and how your body performs. If you want to speed up your body transformation you need to understand the mind body connection. This involves getting to the root of your weight loss challenges. If you don’t unearth weeds they just continue to grow.
By the end of this episode learn the link between your emotions and your weight, how to minimize feelings of despair, and what you can do to shift your thinking to accelerate your weight loss.
Here’s a sneak peak of what’s in this episode:
- [02:28] There’s one important thing that you need to understand – there’s no division between what you think and how your body performs. If you want to speed up your body transformation you need to understand the mind-body connection.
- [02:50] Your thoughts and emotions affect your body in many different ways. High levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, impacts the body in so many ways like weight gain, fatigue, depression, sex drive and overall mental function.
- [03:46] The first step when you’re feeling down about not being able to lose weight is to have awareness.
- [04:27] There is a link between food, emotions, and weight. When you are unable to gain control over your emotions, it can often lead to an unhealthy addiction to food. This is why tuning into your mind and having awareness is so important.
- [05:34] Pema Chödrön says this about emotions: “If you allow an emotion to exist for 90 seconds without judging it, it will disappear. If this emotion goes on for more than 90 seconds it’s because you chose to hold on to that emotion.”
- [06:17] Things you can try to change your thought track from negative to positive: hit stop when a negative thought creeps into your mind. Listen to positive songs to substitute your negative thoughts into positive ones.
- [08:56] When we continue to feed our minds with negative messages, we start to adapt to the messages that we’re feeding it.
- [09:20] To change your body, you need to change your narrative. Reverse your negative messages.
- [10:26] Flood your mind with positive messages. Whenever you feel negative thoughts coming on, give these a try: “I am happy, healthy and radiant. I am ready to enjoy my perfect health. I am a healthy eater. I love and care for my body and my body cares for me. I believe in myself and my abilities” Affirmations are a good way to change your mindset.
- [11:34] Take multiple opportunities throughout the day to repeat your positive affirmations to yourself. Repeating this to yourself daily will help you get a confidence boost and get the results you desire.
- [12:00] One way to keep commitments is to yourself. Confidence builds if you keep your commitments to yourself.
- [13:34] Remember: Your thought patterns become your emotional patterns which then become behavioral patterns. Our brains pick up on our thoughts, emotional and behavioral patterns.
- [13:57] Other ways to overcome a negative body image: find things you love about yourself and let it expand, to love your body as it is is to truly love yourself, ask yourself: what about my body must I learn to accept as it is?
This episode is brought to you by ‘The What’s Your Diet Personality Quiz’.
Do you wish you could uncover the sabotaging patterns that are preventing you from reaching and maintaining your desired weight?
Click here to take my free quiz to discover your diet personality so that you can pinpoint habit-forming strategies that will help you to achieve lasting weight loss. You can take the quiz right here.
Rate, Review, & Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
“I love the Mind Your Body Show!’’ <– If you thought this to yourself while listening, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people — just like you — to get their mind right so that their body can follow!
Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Each week I’ll pull a ‘review of the week’ so you may have a chance to get a shout out!
Links mentioned in this episode: