Despite popular belief, losing weight on a budget is completely doable and eating healthy on a regular basis doesn’t have to cost significantly more.
Some research shows that the healthiest diet patterns cost only about $1.50 more per day than the least healthy diet habits. That adds up to about $40 extra a month, an amount you can easily save in other areas, like meal prepping or making coffee at home.
That said, there are still a number of smart budgeting and creative hacks to help you stretch your dollar even further.
Here’s a look at what we’ll discuss in this episode:
[03:11] Losing weight on budget is completely doable and eating healthy on a regular basis doesn’t have to cost significantly more. In fact, some research shows that it only costs $40 per month more to have a healthy diet.
[03:48] It’s important to have a weight loss strategy.
[04:25] Know your budget before you begin to plan your menu and grocery list. Track your expenses to know where your money is going.
[05:26] Identify your specific weightloss goals. Having a clear idea will help you stay on track and determine where to put your spending money.
[06:25] There is no shame in asking for help and getting a health coach. It’s not a luxury but an investment on yourself. As Les Brown said, “ask for help not because you’re weak but because you want to remain strong.” Every successful person has had a coach. You will be able to reach your goals better if you have advice, support and accountability from a coach.
- [07:39] Make a grocery shopping list. This will help you stick to your budget, make a healthy meal plan and avoid impulse purchases on unhealthy items. You can even base your grocery list on items on sale.
- [09:34] Stock up on simple healthy staples like basic veggies, fruit, lean protein, canned beans, nuts, seeds and whole grains that you can mix and match to make a variety of meals.
- [10:14] Adding spices to your meals can spruce up your meal in seconds.
- [11:07] Purchasing all organic produce is a lie and also very expensive. Just start with produce that has the highest pesticide residue for organic instead.
- [12:45] Buy seasonal or frozen produce. Buying what’s in season is more flavourful, healthy and economical. While buying frozen produce gives you more time to consume the products.
- [15:00] Use budget friendly sources of protein.
- [16:50] Meal prep and cook at home. Preparing your own weight loss meals and snacks can do wonders for your body and bank account. Meal prep nutritious food for the week so that there’s always something ready to eat.
- [18:54] Be creative with your leftovers. Always check your fridge and pantry to use whatever you have left.
- [22:05] Drink more water. Beverages contribute more calories, sugar, and artificial sweeteners to our diet than any other single consumable. Adding a few fruits and veggies will help jazz up your water and help flush out toxins for your water.
- [24:25] Drink a protein shake. It’s a quick high protein meal replacement.
Got stubborn stomach fat?
This episode is brought to you by ‘The 7 Ways To Melt Your Muffin Top Guide”
Belly fat is a common struggle for people looking to lose weight and it can also be harmful to your health. This type of fat is called visceral fat and is a major risk factor for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and other serious conditions. It can be tough to lose but not impossible.
Learn how you can burn belly fat and make it easier with my free guide 7 Ways To Melt Your Muffin Top backed by science. Pop in your email below to grab the free download!
Rate, Review, & Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
“I love the Mind Your Body Show!’’ <– If you thought this to yourself while listening, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people — just like you — to get their mind right so that their body can follow!
Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Each week I’ll pull a ‘review of the week’ so you may have a chance to get a shout out!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the podcast so that you don’t miss out! Subscribe now!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Follow Trudy on Instagram!
- Follow Trudy on Facebook!
- What type of dieter are you? Click here to take the quiz!
- Trudy Stone Coaching
- Mind Your Body Program
- Flat Belly Detox Water Recipe