I’m doing everything right, but I’m still not losing weight. What’s going on?
Have you ever said this to yourself?
It might be because you’re making these 4 common mistakes that you’re unaware of that may be preventing you from hitting your weight loss goal.
Here’s a look at what we’ll discuss in this episode:
- [2:00] This year has been a bit of a strange one. So if you haven’t hit your goal yet, don’t be too hard on yourself. Because I can guarantee that you, like everybody else, is just trying to figure out how to navigate this “new norm” that we’re in.
- [2:39] It all starts with the question, “why?”. To be successful at losing weight, you need to understand your “Why?”.
- [3:12] I will do whatever it takes to overcome temptation, quitting, and making excuses.
- [3:51] Whatever your vice is, ask yourself, “How will eating this make me feel about myself?”. I want you to do this each time you’re about to give in to a craving or are faced with temptation.
- [4:06] You do want to make sure that what you’re eating is aligned with your “Why?”. Because when you fall out of alignment with what you say you want, but you do, that’s what starts to erode your self-confidence.
- [4:36] Being able to strongly align and stay committed to your “Why?” at losing weight will allow you to dust off your shoulders and get back into the saddle.
- [5:51] If you just keep digging deeper and deeper, it’s going to allow you to get to the root of why it is you that you want to lose weight.
- [7:35] Multiple studies show that gradually adopting healthy eating habits will lead to sustainable weight-loss.
- [8:04] The group focused on habit formation, not only were they able to keep the weight off longer, but they also lost up to 5% more bodyweight overall.
- [9:00] When we start getting those winds under our belt, it gives us momentum, then we don’t have to worry about relying on willpower and motivation.
- [9:12] Habits help you to conserve brain power and self-control.
- [9:38] If you’re not happy with the results you’re getting or not getting, you need to look at your habits.
- [12:08] Having this mini accountability group and knowing that someone was looking out for me and had my back was key to attending that class each week.
- [12:44] Pay close attention to the language that you use. Instead of thinking of all the things that could go wrong, think of all the things that could go right.
- [13:01] Finding someone to keep you accountable is also helpful for feedback and reinforcement.
- [13:23] Outside feedback can also help you to keep your expectations ambitious but realistic.
- [14:43] Your beliefs are changeable.
- [15:03] What you believe is nothing more than an agreement that you made with yourself about your reality. So to change it, all you have to do is to change that agreement.
- [15:22] It’s vital that you take an honest look at your core beliefs and determine if they truly match your health and weight-loss goals.
- [15:46] If you’re open to the idea that your body can transform and heal, you’ll allow your brain and body to transform at the biochemical level.
- [16:04] It’s essential to focus not just on behavior, but also on your perception of your ability to make the changes you want.
- [16:30] If you’re looking to improve your sense that you can do it, it can also help to look for people in similar circumstances.
- [16:44] One of the most common barriers to success for most people is that they don’t know how to work with their minds.
- [16:51] Cognitive distortions are negative thoughts that cause individuals to perceive reality inaccurately. It’s a way in which your mind bends the facts to keep you locked in a negative state of mind.
- [17:41] The first step to effective and long-term weight-loss is to address not just your eating but rather to address your mind and why you eat the way that you do.
This episode is brought to you by The Shed and Shred Bootcamp!
In my upcoming weight loss boot camp. You’ll learn how to free yourself from overeating and craving junk food so that you can achieve and maintain your perfect weight forever.
Enrollment is NOW OPEN!! Save your spot below!
Rate, Review, & Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
“I love the Mind Your Body Show!’’ <– If you thought this to yourself while listening, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people — just like you — to get their mind right so that their body can follow!
Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Each week I’ll pull a ‘review of the week’ so you may have a chance to get a shout out!
Links mentioned in this episode: