This easy chickpea flour falafel recipe is crispy and golden, and will have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Do you ever feel like you just can’t control your appetite?
If so you’re definitely not alone and that’s why I’m so excited to share this easy chickpea flour falafel recipe with you today! I’ve also paired it with a smooth and creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing. This recipe is actually part 2 in a 3 part series on cooking with chickpeas so make sure to check out the first recipe here.
Chickpeas have been tapped as one of the top food trends for 2021 and for good reason. They’re a great source of fiber which makes them a natural appetite suppressant. The fiber also helps to slow the release and absorption of glucose making you feel full longer and satisfied throughout the day – which means less overeating.
Now with this falafel you have a few options. Dried chickpeas, or for the busy bee, canned chickpeas or chickpea flour.
For this recipe I’m using Bob’s Red Mill chickpea flour but I’ve also made them with canned chickpeas which you can check out here.
You might be wondering what the difference is between canned chickpea falafel and chickpea flour falafel?
One word – texture.
With canned chickpeas your falafel will be a bit more dense and heavy. With dried chickpeas, or chickpea flour you’ll have a lighter, fluffier texture. After many falafel taste tests, my vote is for light n fluffy. I’m using Bob’s Red Mill Chickpea flour because I’m a huge fan of their products and I absolutely fell in love with this chickpea flour.
Chickpea Flour Falafel
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp olive oil (+ more for frying_
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Add the lemon juice and hot water to the dry ingredients in stir until combined. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan heat oil on medium-high heat until hot. Add the falafel batter by the tablespoon and flatten slightly. fry on both sides until golden brown (about 4 minutes per side)
- Place on paper towels to drain oil. depending on the size of your frying pan batter will need to be cooked in a couple of batches.
For lemon tahini dressing
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until well combined. Drizzle over falafel patties