This Salted Caramel Chickpea Flour Cake will satisfy your sweet tooth in a much healthier way!Jump to Recipe
Think you’re addicted to sweets? Well you might be right!
Many of the treats and processed foods we eat today are highly addictive and fall into a category called hyper palatable foods.
These hyper palatable foods are not natural foods. Instead they’re actually engineered to have you keep coming back for more! Think about the times you’ve been sitting in front of the TV with a bag of chips and being surprised when your hand hits the bottom scraping for crumbs. It’s also why it’s impossible to just have one scoop of ice cream. You can learn more about these foods here.
So it’s not your fault if you feel like you can never resist your favourite foods but you can make some small adjustments to make your favourite foods more healthy and that’s exactly what we’re going to do with this Salted Caramel Chickpea Flour cake!
Video more your thang? Check out the video here:
Inflammation is a risk factor for more than thirty medical illnesses including cancer, diabetes, dementia and depression.
The Western diet, which is the diet most of us eat these days, includes lots of meat, white flour, vegetable oils and sugar. And very little fruit, vegetables and whole grains.
The Western Diet is one that’s very pro-inflammatory which promotes inflammation in the brain and body.
Added to this, the very foods that you turn to to manage stress are actually formulated to keep you hooked. These foods attack the very part of the brain responsible for regulating mood and stress – making your problem worse in the long term, while increasing the risk of serious illness.
In fact, the countries with the highest intake of sugar also have highest rates of depression
That’s why I’m allll about those healthy swaps like chickpea flour so that you can support your health goals while still satisfying your taste buds.
Stuck in a cooking rut? Need some healthy recipe inspiration? Check this out for help in whipping up quick, healthy tasty recipes!
Jerk Jackfruit Tacos
Jerk Jackfruit Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cups ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 diced mango
To assemble Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit Tacos
- 6 warmed tortillas
- 1 diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- vegan mayo, sour cream, or other creamy dressing (optional)
- First make the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. Combine all of the spices together in a small bowl and set aside
- Prepare the jackfruit: Drain the canned jackfruit and lightly rinse under water, shaking off excess water. Use your fingers to remove any thick cores and pull the pieces apart so that it resembles shredded pork.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the scallions, garlic, scotch bonnet, and ginger, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add all of the Jamaican jerk seasoning, stir to coat, and cook for 30-60 seconds, stirring constantly, until very fragrant.
- Use a towel to pat excess liquid from the prepped jackfruit, if needed and add the shredded jackfruit, lime juice, tomato paste, coconut sugar, soy sauce, to the skillet, and stir well. (If it starts to dry out add 1/4 cup water)
- Simmer until most of the liquid is cooked off, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve the jackfruit with the tortillas, mangos and your choice of toppings