So you’ve heard about Jackfruit and you want to start eating it at home, but where do you start? Today you’re going to learn how to turn this fruit into a delicious plant-based meat substitute with these Jerk Jackfruit Tacos!Jump to Recipe
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit that grows in South and Southeast Asia and is part of the fig and breadfruit family. It’s also the largest tree in the world! It’s not widely available in grocery stores, but you may be lucky enough to find it in an Asian or Caribbean grocery store. The most popular format is canned which you can find in a well stocked grocery store.
One of the best ways to enjoy it at your next summer BBQ is either pulled jackfruit burgers, which are growing in popularity, or tacos like what I’ll be whipping up today. You might be thinking ‘do I really want fruit in my burger?’ When it’s ripe it tastes sweet but when it’s unripe, which you’ll find in cans, the flavour is neutral. The young, or green, jackfruit is usually found canned in brine or water. It’s rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin B6, fiber and is relatively low in fat.
Jackfruit is a great blank canvas that soaked up lots of seasoning and flavour and in these Jerk Jackfruit tacos we’ll have a lot of flavour and you definitely won’t miss the meat.
Video more your thang? Check out the video here:
[ VIDEO HERE ]
Stuck in a cooking rut? Need some healthy recipe inspiration? Check this out for help in whipping up quick, healthy tasty recipes!
Jerk Jackfruit Tacos
Jerk Jackfruit Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cups ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 diced mango
To assemble Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit Tacos
- 6 warmed tortillas
- 1 diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- vegan mayo, sour cream, or other creamy dressing (optional)
- First make the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. Combine all of the spices together in a small bowl and set aside
- Prepare the jackfruit: Drain the canned jackfruit and lightly rinse under water, shaking off excess water. Use your fingers to remove any thick cores and pull the pieces apart so that it resembles shredded pork.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the scallions, garlic, scotch bonnet, and ginger, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add all of the Jamaican jerk seasoning, stir to coat, and cook for 30-60 seconds, stirring constantly, until very fragrant.
- Use a towel to pat excess liquid from the prepped jackfruit, if needed and add the shredded jackfruit, lime juice, tomato paste, coconut sugar, soy sauce, to the skillet, and stir well. (If it starts to dry out add 1/4 cup water)
- Simmer until most of the liquid is cooked off, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve the jackfruit with the tortillas, mangos and your choice of toppings